Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Now

The older I get, the more I realize that none of us get to see the whole picture.

I blame it on the way God made me but, I spend a lot of time looking down the figurative road and saying things like "Wouldn't it be cool if..." and "Someday, maybe we could...". Depending on who you talk to, this is a huge blessing or a crippling disability. I love to venture into the future and ask what if...? and dream and discover and wonder. It's tons o' fun!

The drawback is that sometimes the present will suffer while the dreamer is out doing his thing. It becomes difficult to see the value of the moment or the activity right under your nose. So much time is spent wondering what will happen in the future that the present is lost.

The opposite can be true for the practical, in-the-moment person. There is so much to be done right here, right now that there is no time to sit down and get excited about what may be coming. There is no joy of anticipation because the now is looming so large.

We don't get the whole picture; we all only get a piece of it. That's why we need each other. God didn't make us to be alone. People around us see what we don't. Maybe we get to show others a little something that they may have missed.

I had a moment this evening when I was fully aware of the present...and I loved it. As I was typing this, Rachel was playing a game with the Middle and the Little. Brady was doing something artistic and creative. Pandora was providing the soundtrack for the scene.

Lord, help me be who I am, who you created me to be, but don't let me miss the moments along the way.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, real quick... Dang proud of you for keeping up with your writing. Loving what you've been writing!!

PEACE