Monday, January 3, 2011

Kindness

Big gets attention. Small makes a difference.

I don't know that I fully agree with that statement, but I needed a big opening to get your attention. If I had started with something like "Kindness is one of the most undervalued and neglected attributes when it comes to bringing in the Kingdom of God", you might have stopped right there. (Maybe you stopped after the opening...humor me and keep reading!).

I was thinking about kindness today and what a big deal it is when people are kind. It might be just a smile or an offer of a helping hand but, as cheesy as it sounds, it really can have an effect on others. And it doesn't cost much to be kind.

We can take mission trips and speak to auditoriums packed with people and that is all great. We can endeavor to do "great things" for Jesus and I am all for that. More than these though, I am for speaking a kind word, whether to strangers or to your family. I am for offering to help when you have the ability. I am for looking for the bright spots and bringing light to a dark situation.

Kindness is listed in the Bible with love,joy, peace, patience...the big ones. How often do you ask God to help you be kind?

Maybe it's time to take another look at kindness and ask for enough of it to give away every day.

Peace.

No comments: