Sunday, November 23, 2008

Moments

Life is made up of moments. How many of those moments can you clearly recall? I had a moment this weekend. When I tell you what it was, you may not think it was much of a thing to even register in one's mind. Stay with me.

My daughter, Kendall, age seven, was in a local production of "The Nutcracker" ballet. She was a polichinelle, which I think is some kind of a clown. (Actually, I think the term is "buffoon" but I can't write that about my princess!) Out of a nearly two hour performance, she is on stage for a total of about two minutes so I got a little added culture while waiting for her to appear. Anyway, she came out, did her thing and was exiting stage right. That's when she saw Rachel and me. We were in the third row and our eyes definitely met. Her stage smile got a little bigger and a little more real. After the show, she said "I saw you when I was walking off". I said "I thought you did". There was a connection that goes beyond words. It cannot be explained. It was a moment.

I recognize it makes me sound like I am prone to maudlin sentimentality, which I may be, but I think we miss too many small moments in our rush to get to the next big thing. We gloss over seemingly insignificant times because they don't affect the course of our life. I know that my moment with Kendall will not make me or break me, but if I can learn to see those moments and really be there, the moments will add up over time. Over time the moments become a life.

Do you look for the moments in your life? They may not be what you think.

Peace.

No comments: