Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Shack

Last night I finished reading The Shack by William P. Young. It is the fictional story of a man who has lost his young daughter and has lived in what he calls "the Great Sadness" for the last four years. He gets a note that is apparently from God asking him to meet at a remote shack. The story is his encounter with the Trinity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

I won't go into the details here and I won't discuss the things that may be a bit controversial. I will say that I did not agree with everything that the story suggests and I can see where some people may get bent out of shape. I think that it needs to be read as a story though. It is a fictional piece written about a subject that we will not understand fully in this life. I don't believe that it was intended to be read as a great work of theology.

Having said all that, I really liked the book. I liked that the author wrote that life is about relationship, both with God and with men. The whole reason for Jesus becoming a man and dying is so that we can have access to God and know His love for us. I liked that the author approached the difficult questions and didn't give pat answers. I may not have agreed with the answers, but I appreciate that he didn't back away from the questions.

I would recommend reading the book, but I would suggest reading it with someone else or with a group. Discuss it. Throw out your own questions. Go to your Bible and search out what is in there. I think that this is a good book to stir us to think about things and, maybe, re-think some things.

Peace.

No comments: