Thursday, January 22, 2009

Influences

If you had a choice, would you rather be a great influence or be greatly influenced?

Like it or not, we are all shaped by what has happened in the past and we pass those shaping forces on to those around us. My family, my co-workers and my friends are all involved in this process of influence, both giving and receiving.

I would like to take a few posts over the next few days and write a bit about the influences that have shaped, and are shaping, my life. They will be in no particular order and will include people, events, books, movies and music.

Feel free to comment on those things that have taken you to where you are today.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you about one of my influences - Columbia's Jack FM. They just ran off an epic string of songs (Sheryl Crow, U2, Europe, Duran Duran). The magic ended when Bob Seger's "Night Moves" followed up Duran Duran's "Say a Prayer For Me Now". (Bob Seger gives me gas.) Since you were the one who turned me on to Jack FM, I guess you had some influence on me.

Interestingly enough, the word "influence" first came into usage in the 14 century in England and/or France. Three hundred years later, some Italians were getting sick because they thought they were being influenced by alien life forms or possibly demons. They called the sickness "influence" which in Italian is influenza, which is now popularly known as the flu. (I wish those darn aliens would have left those poor Italian boys alone.)