Thursday, January 29, 2009

3 Boys to Men

Let's be honest. Men are not typically known for having deep relationships. Most of the time, sports, women and alcohol (though not necessarily in that order) can serve as the basis for a long time friendship among guys. We are taught to "man up", don't let anyone in and get through life on the strength we have in our self. Sometimes that works. For about ten minutes.

In thinking about the influences in my life, friends have definitely played a big role. Over the years, from elementary school through to college and beyond, many people have filled that friendship spot, some better than others. Specifically though, there have been three that have stood the test of time.

I met Brett, Joe and Shannon when I was a freshman in high school and we were all clueless, mullet-wearing, collections of rampant hormones. (They may claim they didn't have mullets, but it was the '80's and everyone had a mullet.) Our friendships have weathered the highs and lows that come to any relationship. They have survived the occasional differences over who saw the girl first and who did she look at. Physical distances may have made the conversations a little less regular but, after more than twenty years, the friendships are still standing strong.

These three guys have been the go-to in the clutch people for me for a long time. The late night conversations about God, life and everything else have done as much to shape my thinking as just about anything I have experienced. Whether it be in agreement or disagreement, the foundation stays strong. Regardless of how long it has been since we have all been in the same room at the same time, we pick up right where we left off.

I realize that this kind of friendship is rare and that I am blessed to have had these three men be a part of shaping my life over the years. I am grateful for the roles they have played and I am honored that one is now literally part of my family (brother-in-law--which makes me question his motives for being my friend in the first place!). All that brings me to this place...Thank you my brothers.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I frequently reflect along similar lines and consider our small circle of friends to be one of the greatest acts of kindness that our Heavenly Father has shown to me. The term "peer pressure" most often refers to a negative influence that pushes kids to do bad things that they wouldn't otherwise do but for such pressure. Amazingly enough, whatever "peer pressure" we experienced was just the opposite. I think we often were pushed to do GOOD things that perhaps we would not have otherwise done if not for our friendships.

That's how the Kingdom of God should work. Blessings!